2008年3月17日星期一

Where's the end of the internet?

I've realized that I've been using the Internet far more frequently than I supposed to. Worse still, my usage of the net did not result from homework or school usages, bunt instead, I have been loitering in facebook, friendster and forums (FF&F ... hmmm nice abbreviation). Well, if you count the usage of this blog in too, then I will definitely die of Internet over dosage if there's such a cause. Just wondering, anyone knows where the end or dead end of the Internet really is? I've googled "end of the Internet" and found quite a few interesting results.

The End of the Internet - http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm
Dead End - http://www.noring.pp.se/
End of the Internet - http://www.tribbs.co.uk/end_of_the_internet.php
The Internet cannot be displayed END - http://www.weirdity.com/internet/eoti.html
(Many thanks to http://www.dmoz.org/Recreation/Humor/Computer/Internet/Dead-End_Pages/ for providing the links)

Found these sites quite entertaining. At the very least, these sites reflected something. There are too many Internet craze out there, and by the look of things, there's no end to all these Internet frenzy. Who really understood what the creator of the world wide web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee aimed at when creating the web? I believe that what he wished the society can gain from his work is the idea of convince, especially in terms of messaging, data transfers and information gatherings. However, is that happening now? Everyone is capable of doing research on university topics just with a type in wikipedia or Google (sad to say, that's how I've found out about Berners). The hospitality of a library is fading from existence, from a reserve of information to a mere Internet station or an air-conditioning room with tables and chairs. Sad, isn't it?

Anyway, all these reminds me of an article from Newsweek regarding online games. The articles said that the reason why people (especially the younger generation ... erm, am I considered?) are so addicted to online games is because that these virtual world provided a chance for discovery, adventure and are highly customisable. There's a sense of adventure for the player when playing such online games, especially role playing games such as the highly recommended World Of Warcraft, guild wars and etc. They allow players to go into a mythical adventure with their real life friends as they explore, battle and train in such virtual worlds. Well, I can't help but to agree with the article. It sounded very true. I have played numerous of online RPGs and each got me hooked for some time till I grew bored of it. True enough, it was these kind of curiosity and satisfaction which got most people glued to their computer and playing such RPGs non-stop. But the thing is, is this the same reason why people are so hooked to facebook and friendster and forums and such? Or perhaps this can be a reason why people are spending so much time searching the googles or even wikipedia for something that they most probably have not heard off the previous day? I guess I'll leave that for u to think about.

Hopefully, when the next semester begins, I will be able to stick to my "new semester resoultion" and cut my internet so that I won't be able to access the internet from my home (relax, you will still be able to hear from me~ so no worries). Hmmmmmmm, oh and one more thing, I haven't really been playing much online games such as Maple Story, Warcraft III, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress.......... (long list, so I'm sorry that I can't type everything here) But I'll be posting on the kind of games that I dig recently, so stick around~

沒有留言: