2008年3月16日星期日

Singapore: a first world country or a first class prison?

Like what I've said in my previous post (which was yesterday), I will talk about my perspective of Singapore in this post. Well, having lived in this country state for like 6 years plus, it's natural that I will quite a lot of comments regarding this country, be it good or bad. In addition to that, I am taking a module on "The making of modern Singapore", which gave me more room to do research on this matter.

Ok, firstly, I would like to talk about my so-called research results. Well, its nothing formidable. Just a few little articles which I have looked up in the Internet. I believe that everyone knows how great Singapore is in economy, education, environment, diplomatic relations, RnD..... blah blah blah, as long as the government can think of it, they will be kicked into the list of being a so-called hub. Ok, enough of all that trash talk. Here's some little abstract from a site which I think everyone will be interested in, at least, I hope.
· Press freedom. Dismally ranked 140th out of 167 countries by Reporters
without Borders,

· Executions. One of the world's highest rates (on per capita), having
hanged 400 criminals between 1990-2004).

· Sex performance. Second last out of 41 countries (2005 Durex Global
Sex Survey), which wouldn't have bothered the government had it not been for its
very low procreation).

· Emigration. Singapore has an average outflow rate of 26.11 migrants
per 1,000 citizens, the second highest in the world - next only to East Timor
(51.07), according to an unverified website.

· Courtesy. It is ranked a poor 30th out of 35 countries and now - the
Happy Planet Index of 130th out of 178 nations.
(abstract taken from website: http://www.littlespeck.com/content/lifestyle/CTrendsLifestyle-060724.htm on 16/3/2008)

Any comments? =) I don't know about you all, but I sure have tons of words to say. (Of course, its your choice to believe or agree with whatever I says but that doesn't constrains my freedom of speech =D). I won't be looking at sex performance for now cause it's not the point which I want to bring out but anyway, here's what I feel.

First of all, press freedom. I remembered that LKY once said that the media and press should be aiding the government instead of monitoring the government and telling the government what to do. Well, this could be effective if Singapore had a diverse government. But hey, most of the Singapore government is made up of PAP, which makes PAP the government of Singapore, and when LKY said that, wasn't him hinting that the government should be in control of the media? If that's the case, then where is the media freedom? Where's the freedom of speech? What we will read from the papers, see in the news and hear from the radio will all be what the government (PAP) want us to hear, and not what we our self, we the listeners and we, the masses who paid the taxes so that mediacorp or whatsoever newspaper have the funds to continue operation, want to hear, see, read and know. Of course, there are certain things which are not supposed to be and should never have been shown to the public. However, isn't that just another form of biasness? Where's the liberty? For example, please take a look at the following picture:


Seen this picture? Well, I've forgotten where I've taken it from, but I know it's from some weblogs. Like what the picture have said, it's the actually photos of worker's party's rallies. Isn't that picture just fascinating? The amount of people, the amount of supporters, and the fact that most people rather turn up at WP's rallies than PAP's. But did any of such photos, or even videos, appeared in the news or papers? None! This kind of censorship shouldn't exist in a state which always proclaims itself as the hub of almost everything. This reminds me of what my making of modern Singapore instruction have said. He have been to all 3 of the parties' rallies, PAP, WP and SDA, and he have only stayed on for the later two. As for the PAP's rally, well, he said that it's not really that interesting and he was given some "meng-niu" (朦牛), as a sort of bribery, perhaps? (Just like the @!#$ing Singapore Progressive Package .... DOWN RIGHT BRIBERY!) Well, the only thing which I've found funny is that, why aren't he given a yeo's drink instead?

Enough of the "kuku" press freedom thing. Another thing which I would like to bring out is the laws in Singapore. I won't talk about the sky high execution rate nor serious issues such as the Michael Fey incident, cause that's a bit too ethical, and arn't really suitable for discussion. However, I think I will be talking more about "lighter" crimes. Oh and before I start taking my stand, I'd like to share with you all some of my experience of the Singaporean law (Oh, the humanity of it ....). Hmm, maybe i'll list them down.

  • Many times for Vanderlism (in school), one of which got me into a principal case which ended up in cleaning tables after school, and there was another which was mass vanderlism which was pretty fun =D.
  • A few times for assault (in school), and one ended up with caning, but I still think that I should have been charges fighting as it was the victum who landed the first blow... unfair!

  • Once for wearing beggie pants (in school), but got off without punishment because I think the teacher is blind.

  • Once for dying hair (in school), but got off without punishment again because my natural hair colour is dark brown and not black, and the teacher should get sack because of this.

  • Once charged for long hair (in school), but got away because the teacher was in a bad mood but the principal wasn't.

  • Numurous of times for not wearing belt, tie, socks or proper shoes.(in school)

  • Don't know how many times for not tucking in =.=''(in school)

  • Once for sucking a lollipop in the train station. Well, unfair isn't it? I've seen people eating mac in a train station and they didn't get scolded nor charged (the station master said that we will infrom my school that I was eating lollipop in a train station ............. lame =.='')

  • Once for bringing a toy gun into the country. Went to custom's office for like thirty minutes before I managed to squeeze myself out.

  • A lot of times for bringing chewing gums but got off because, well, even the police likes to chew once in a while, right?

Interesting? I can say that I am quite a little punk in school, but I try my best not to cross the line when I am outside since in sch it's the discipline master and outside its the mata (police). Anyway, don't you think that the rules in Singapore is far too tedious, constraining and sort-of inhumane? I mean, prohibiting drugs and fire arms are understandable, but chewing gums? Come on ... it's so ridiculous and unbelievable that there's one description on a world encyclopedia about Singapore being a gum banning country. True enough, the country is kind of cleaner and you don't see patches of black stuff on the ground (which I have been told are dried and spitted chewing gums) like those in Hong Kong, but what's the point? It's just like banning sweets so that the country can be cleaner... no, its not 'like', it IS. Also, some of the laws are kind of unclear, don't you think so? I mean, I understand the reason why they prohibit eating and drinking in the stations and trains (one reason, clean!), I had no idea that it includes sweets and candies till I've got caught for eating lollipops.... mourn for my 40 cents please. Signs saying other rules such as no soccer in void decks (ok, its pretty much understandable though), no spitting and urinating (this signs really make the society look quite uncivilized ... I mean, who in the right mind will pee in public places or in the lift?!) and those extra school rules (such as hyper short hair, some crappy belt and socks and stuffs like that), don't they make you feel intoxicated? Many of them are even unnecessary.

Alright! Last point for this post. Courtesy. I remembered that last time my Social Studies (LKY's propaganda subject) teacher have said that Singaporeans are low in courtesy rating. True enough, when compared to Hong Kong or other major Asian cities, the chance of getting a scornful or even violent reply from a stall tender or sales person is much higher. Sometimes, it has even caused me to be intimidated from asking for guidance in stores and such. Seriously, when you are in Singapore (and provided that you look and sound like a Singaporean), ask yourself how many times did someone from the sales industry gave u a pretty bad impression? I remembered that there was once where a but has just closed the door before I ran and reached the station. Well, naturally the bus driver will open the door again, right? But this good for nothing bus uncle just wave me away and drove off. Frustrating, wasn't it? Of course, to show that I am displeased, I pointed my middle finger at him as he drove off (parental guidance required!). The only occupation which I find that they have a rather nice tone is taxi drivers. Most taxi drivers are chatty and all, and like what my making of modern Singapore instructor have said, they are always willing to share some of their thoughts and perspectives and what they know with you. Quite a weird society, if you ask me. Oh and one more thing, I believe that it's better if the sales person (be it the auntie from the wet market or the cute girl from some branded stall) uses a relatively nastier tone on you, because there's a high possibility that the sales wants to con you if he/she uses a nice tone. Trust me, I had experiences.

Well, this rounds up what I have to say for Singapore, and my six years of experience, even though I didn't really said anything positive (there are). There's a lot more, but time, space and finger energy are limited, and I guess I will end here before you decide not to visit my site again.

沒有留言: