2008年4月15日星期二

Meeting with prof

Met with my personal tutor professor (lame title =.=) today. The meeting isn't what you call insightful, let alone interesting. Well, I've laid it all out on the table moments after I've sat down and all, saying that I am not the very least interested in electronic engineering and all, and that I've somehow lost all of my interest in anything related to maths and science. Alright, the professor didn't get angry or paranoid or anything near that. In fact, he was quite supportive, for the first 5 minutes at least. He started talking about stuffs like you still need something to fall on, something as your safety net ... blah blah blah... and after a while he went on talking about how people aren't studying a major which they are always interested in and all, and that most people are just studying degrees so that they can proof themselves to be capable of overcoming difficulties and all, and that the working world out there is much harsher than that of school life, and some people even have to be enslaved to cling on to their job ... blah blah blah ... Then I was just thinking, is the purpose of university education simply to prepare you for your working life?

After a while of babbling, I've said this to the professor (in Cantonese of course):" True, most of the times we can't be complacent and all, but if you are able to study something of your interest, wouldn't you be able to climb higher and soar further?" Having said this, I've received another 10 minutes of lecture on how not to be complacent before I can shake him off and say bye bye... But seriously, I don't want to stop at just a degree. I mean, who understand me the best apart from myself? I know where my strength and weakness are, and engineering sure isn't one of my strength. Curiosity, analytical and perhaps adequate judgements are some of my strengths which I believe I have. Oh and did I mention that I am pretty good at designing? =P

沒有留言: