2009年10月19日星期一

Suicidal

The prof talked about 'Falk' by Conrad during today's modernism class. Knowing me, I wouldn't have read the text before hand... ok, I'm not slacking or what, and I did read through everything for previous lessons, but I seriously don't want to describe the state I am currently in, so please, spare me from such reoccurring torments...

Anyway, the prof talked about how the ship the main character was on got lost on the seas, and how the they ran out of food. Then the prof talked about how sailors started to commit suicide (including the captain). How one dude simply jumped off, and another dude let got of the ropes he is clinging on and stuff. Then the prof went on to talk about how the main character and another few started cannibalism, of which they've started eating their fellow deceased shipmates...

Well, nothing interesting here, eh? The thing is, I didn't read the story, so when the prof came to me and asked for my opinion... like always... (It's not that I'm a loner, but blame the fact that I'm the only male in a class of 30 for sitting alone...) ... and of course, having not read anything, I can only come up with something based on the professor's depictions. Well, this is what I said.

"When professor you are describing the sailors who committed suicide, one though struck me. When a sailor jumped into the sea, I can't help but think 'Ahhhh~ there goes another day's supply of food!'... and when another sailor jumped into the sea 'Noooooo~ another day's meal is gone!'... "

The professor labeled me with 'utilitarian' ....

Oh well, who said lit is boring?

沒有留言: