2010年3月20日星期六

Lost in translation

I know I'm not that much of a righteous person. I know. I KNOW. Why? Cause I can't help laughing at someone when he or she screws up (mostly he, I don't normally laugh at girls). Oh well, sometimes its real hard try not to laugh at something that is hell hilarious, especially when that guy tries his best to make it look real cool. Cool my a**...

Anyway, heres what happened. Theres Chinese lesson, as usual. Our instructor asked us to translate some English brand names/slogans into Chinese. He split the class into 4 groups and asked for peer reviews after that. Well, the first one is this (Hong Kong IFC slogan) :
Be informed, be amazed, be shocked
And our translation is
體驗吧
驚喜吧
震撼吧

Well, I personally don't like the 吧 too much cause it gives a strong hint of "mainland" feel, but still, it has the most positive votes for the peer reviewing so I guess its still a nice little translation =D. Anyway, the second one is an American cosmetic brand:
Urban Decay
And our translation is
小城誘惑
I personally liked this one quite a lot. The 小, or small, sort of represents the size of cosmetics in quite a pictorial form. And then 誘惑, or temptation, here, brings out a hint of negativity which can be observed from the word decay. 小城 here defines a cosmopolitan state and its insignificance, which corresponds to the word Urban. The whole phrase than gives the reader a sense of significance that is embedded in a larger insignificant context, just like how the significance of cosmetics is enhanced though it is insignificant when compared to the rest in terms of size. Anyway, we got the most positive votes (again, ya =D), but the point is... theres one particular group which I find ... well, I beg your pardon but.... hilarious. To cut it short, heres what they wrote:

都市歷崎

When I first saw this phrase, what crossed my mind was roller coaster, or rides of some sort. Erm... seriously, isn't the adventurous sense kinda too strong here? It just reminds me of those theme park rides or tourist rides, like those city bus rides of a sort... -_- ... Then there's this word 崎 ... I know they wanted to rhyme with the last syllable of Decay, but ... do you have to? It looks real weird. And that really reminds me of 山崎麵包 ... -_- ... and I said that to my group in quite a loud voice... yea, the dude who wrote this must have heard... (that explains my intro paragraph)... oh and to make it worse, he wrote explanation for each and every word. Heck... so much for creativity... its too chocking -_- ... and that guy acts like hes such a pro in these crap and things like that (who else will give one whole bunch of explanations for 4 words?!) ... come on, get a life... ...

Oh and why am I writing in different chucks, point X for intro and conclusion, and point Y for the middle portion... Thats so ... Achebe...........

沒有留言: