2011年8月19日星期五

Seated

Some places call it Metro. Some places call it Metro. We call it the MTR in our city, which abbreviates for Mass Transit Railway. These are basically railway systems with stations and stops at every few hundred meters or at every inhabited area, and the whole system will be comprised of a number of railway lines, depending on the size of the city. For railway systems such as the MTR, the frequency of trains is also another important issue. The frequency of the trains arriving at various stations is usually set at around 4 minutes per train. Of course, this timing of train frequency differs between various lines and time periods of the day, but it is still true that the MTR has one of the lowest average waiting time of all public transports. Most people who live or have lived in a metropolitan will have experience travelling with one of such railway system, or even commuting with it. Nevertheless, even with its speed and convenience, there are certain social issues, or complications, that the MTR has brought about. One of such issues is the sharing of seats.

Due to a design that focuses on the conservation of space, the number of seats in each MTR train compartment is relatively limited. The seats of the trains are normally occupied by passenger even when it is not peak hours. So what will happen when all the seats are occupied and someone who looks like he is in need of that spot walks in? Someone that is physically challenged, such as a old man or a pregnant lady, or a child. It is not uncommon for one of such person to walk in. So if you are the one seated, what will you do? Will you stand up and offer your seat to that person? Or will you remain seated, since it doesn't really concern you?

I have seen one of such person in almost every week. An old or pregnant lady or some little kid will walk into the train compartment of which I am seated, look around and find that all the seats are occupied with people. I am more than willing to offer my seat, and I normally do so because it is perfectly fine if I have to stand for twenty or so minutes of the remaining journey. For someone who is twenty odd years old and in good health, I won't find that anything near tedious. However, I have two concerns. One is that I'll normally wait a couple of seconds to see if someone is willing to offer their seat first. Not that I am trying to see if I can keep my seat or anything, but I will feel awkward if me and another person stood up simultaneously just to offer a seat to another person. Don't ask why, that's me.

Another concern I have is that the person I am offering my seat to might take it personally that I am stereotyping him or her as old or physically impaired. It happened once, when an old man got angry when I tried to offer him my seat. He screamed at me, saying that I shouldn't treat him like an old fart because he is only fifty plus. From then on, I normally won't look for an empty seat if the train ride is something less than 10 minutes. If I don't have it, I can't offer it, simple.

Nevertheless, the scene of someone offering their seat to others, apart from myself, is quite a rare find in the area that I lived. It has happened, of course, but not common. Many a time I have seen people of my age and physique remaining seated at their MTR seats when someone old walked past, sluggishly with a walking stick. I am normally standing somewhere in my own corner when that happens. Not that I can offer anything to that particular old person, and I won't give a public lecture to the people who are seated. Who am I to cause a scene for something that many people take as something trivial? I have my morals and they have theirs, and I have no intention of intruding other's inner self. But anyway, I guess I'm thinking too much when I wait for someone to offer his or her seat first before me. That won't happen in my society.

I was talking to a friend of mine, Suni, about this. He smiled and gave his reply.

"That's why I read." Suni gave his reply half-smilingly.

"What? What do you mean by 'you read'?" I asked, not really understanding what Suni meant.

"When I find my own little comfy seat on the MTR, I'll normally take out a book and stare hard at it. Not that I am really interested in what the book is saying, but at least I won't look at the old person standing in front of me and feel guilty. Yea, that's why I said I read."

After hearing that from Suni, I couldn't find the right words to reply him, so he continued.

"But you know what? There are quite a number of old people who will stand in front of you can cough real hard to capture your attention. I really hate those kind of people. I mean, can't you see that I am concentrating on my little novel? And let's not forget that the train compartment is noisy enough without your coughs."

At that point in time, I realized that something is wrong with what Suni is saying. I'm not talking about his moral values, because, like what I've said earlier, I won't give others moral lectures or anything. Just don't be offensive and I'll be okay with it. Still, there is a certain something that seems quite out of place.

"I didn't know that you are into reading. Glad that you're finally into books." I've finally found what's wrong with what Suni has said.

"I read, but not from a book." Suni replied.

"Then from what?"

"Before I answer you, think about this. Why do you think that smart phones are so popular nowadays?"

After saying that and giving his usual grin, Suni took out his phone and started reading the news from it.

沒有留言: